If you’re in New England and the surrounding areas, by now you’ve probably already heard about the crazy-insane winter storm that’s supposed to hit tomorrow. (Editor’s Note: I personally am not looking forward to the 1-2 predicted feet of snow or commuting to/from New York in it since I live in Connecticut!) I’m sure while many of you – like all of us who are young at heart! – appreciate a good snow day, I think we can all admit that 2 feet is a little much, and this storm is not going to be pretty. New England is expecting white-out conditions which means you might get snowed in, your school may get evacuated, you may lose power, driving will be pretty much off the table, and nobody wants to relive Snowtober 2011 (well, at least this time it’s actually winter…) Back when hurricane Sandy was on her way, we posted a hurricane-ready dorm room survival guide to help you prepare for the worst and we felt that with this impending snow storm we should bring it back. Here is our modified dorm room survival guide, winter storm edition.
Also, can we just discuss the ridiculousness of naming a potentially dangerous storm Nemo? Really?
Moving on, here’s everything you need to make it through a bad winter storm in your dorm room:
Your Winter Storm Survival Kit
- Plenty of bottled water
- A flashlight (and plenty of batteries!)
- Food that doesn’t need to be refrigerated or cooked, like chips, crackers, granola bars, etc.
- Blankets and warm clothes (no electricity = no heat)
- Cash (ATMs and card readers won’t work if the power goes out)
- Have your license/ID/school ID/passport set aside in case you have to evacuate
Winter Storm Preparation Checklist
Before the storm
- Charge your phone
- Get laundry done (you don’t want to be stuck in dirty clothes!)
- Shower (in case you lose hot water during the storm)
- Shut and lock your windows
- If you’re on the ground floor, unplug and move everything you don’t need in case of flooding
- Lock up valuables in a drawer/storage box
- Pack a bag with clothing, toiletries, and any other essentials you use in case you have to evacuate
- Fill your car’s gas tank!
- Stock your car with these essential winter storm items: shovel, window scraper; a blanket, non-perishable snacks, and waters (in case you get stuck in the snow); container of spare gas (if you can get one); road/driveway salt in case of icy conditions; first aid kit
During the storm
- If you lose power, defrost your fridge. Put a towel underneath it in case it leaks
- Listen for information/announcements from your RA/RD or campus police
- Stay indoors unless directed otherwise by a school official
- Bundle up well before going outside for any reason
- Keep a record of any damage that occurs to your room from the storm
- Get in contact with your family and keep them updated
- Most importantly, stay calm!