Today we saw a very mean college dean, veterans fighting adversity at their colleges, unfortunate news for University of Phoenix students, the best public schools in the country, and the worst costumes. We hope you’re not planning on being Big Bird for Halloween! Check out today’s college current events roundup.
- Public School Praise: U.S. News and World Report has released their list of the top 10 best public colleges that “exemplify the best of state-funded education.” Topping the list was the University of California at Berkeley, followed by UCLA, University of Virginia, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, and UNC Chapel Hill.
- The Mean Dean: Cecilia Chang, former dean of St. John’s University, is in a whole heap of trouble after being accused of turning foreign exchange students into her own personal servants. Students say she made them do her son’s laundry, go grocery shopping, clean her house, and drive her to the salon, all while threatening to revoke their scholarships if they refused. Yikes.
- U. of Phoenix Closings: Due to a major loss in income after a large drop in enrollment, University of Phoenix has decided to close 115 of their smaller locations. They are currently notifying students and will give them the option to continue their education online or at other nearby locations if possible.
- Anti-Military Mentality: U.S. colleges have seen an influx of anti-military and veteran attitudes on their campuses. With many veterans attending school for free under the post 9/11 GI Bill, students and faculty have shared some not-so-positive opinions. One veteran recalled a student in his class who said “Why should we pay for these guys to go to college? Everybody who goes into the military is stupid.”
- Cliché Costumes: If you’re still unsure of what to be for Halloween this year, at least you can rule some ideas out. HackCollege has posted their list of Cliché Halloween Costumes to Avoid for 2012. On the list? PSY, Bane, all Sesame Street and Avengers characters, and Doctor Who, as well as a few others.
And if you didn’t see our latest posts, check them out here:
- WTF Wednesday: Mind Boggling Pics About College Life
- 2012 CMJ Music Marathon: Night #1
- My Crazy RA Life: My Favorite Residents