The news from the last few days may seem to be solely focused on Hurricane Sandy, but we can assure you that other things have been going on. Today’s news includes some Cornell drama, a sexual assault at SMU, and some advice on where to don your favorite PJs – hint, it’s not the classroom! Does your school have the least beautiful campus or the best quality of life? Check out today’s college current events roundup!
- Hazing Happenings: Former Cornell Fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon was convicted in the death of pledge George Desdunes that happened in February, 2011. Desdunes’ death was ruled a result of hazing practices, after he was found unresponsive on a couch with a blood alcohol level of 0.35 (over 4 times the legal level). The fraternity lost recognition from the school, and was sentenced to the maximum sentence – a fine of $12,000.
- Sexual Assault at SMU: A student at Southern Methodist University in Texas reported that she was sexually assaulted on campus in a freshmen residence hall by a fellow student last fall. This makes the 6th case of sexual assault at the school this year, with two arrests in September.
- Classy on Campus: If it’s your daily routine to roll out of bed and head to class, you may want to rethink your wardrobe. USA Today College has a list of reasons to ditch the sweatpants and get classy for class. Included: the chance to experiment with your personal style, plus, you never know when you’ll need to network…
- Best College Life: The Princeton Review has released their list of the colleges with the best quality of life, because, let’s face it, it’s not all about academics! Number one on the list? Bowdoin College in Maine. Also on the list: Virginia Tech, Dartmouth, Barnard, and Kansas State.
- Least Beautiful Schools: The Princeton Review has another list for us today! This time, it’s the least beautiful college campuses. We hope your schools didn’t make this list. Number one? Case Western University. Also on the list: Harvey Mudd College, Rutgers New Brunswick, Clarkson University, and University of Dallas, among others. Though we’re not too sure why some made the list – they’re not all that bad…
And if you haven’t seen what we’ve covered today on CampusRiot:
- Video: Stranded Thanks to Hurricane Sandy? Make S’mores with My Drunk Kitchen
- 5 Great Horror Movies Set on College Campuses
- Dorm Room Hurricane Survival 101