There may have been no school today, but the news never takes a day off! Today we saw an update on the presidential election and where the candidates stand, the Venezuelan election results, and some weird news about Honey Boo Boo, a cocktail to end all cocktails, and a law-breaking mother. Check out today’s college current events roundup.
- Romney Rules the Polls: Election poll updates from the Pew Research Center show that, since the debate, Mitt Romney has become more popular than Obama because many feel he has better solutions to the economic problems facing America. 66% of people said that Romney performed better overall in the debate.
- Chavez Wins Venezuelan Election: For the third time, Hugo Chavez has won the election in Venezuela, meaning he will remain president for another 6 years.
- Tattoo Troubles: 30-year-old mother, Odessa Clay, of North Carolina, was arrested for giving her 11-year-old daughter a tattoo. In North Carolina, it is illegal to tattoo a minor under the age of 18. Clay claims she didn’t know that was the law and said her daughter asked for the tattoo and felt no pain.
- Cocktail Calamity: A British teenager had to have lifesaving surgery after she drank a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen to make it appear foggy. Since liquid nitrogen turns into a gas inside the body, it caused her stomach to expand and burst.
- House for Honey Boo Boo: After suffering a heart attack, Rosie O’Donnell spent much of her recovery watching Here Comes Honey Boo Boo and fell in love with the whole family. She says she would love to meet them, not to mention buy them a proper house (since their yard is home to train tracks). Rosie better redneckognize.
- “Why Obama Now” Video Talks Trickle-Down Economics
- Obama vs Romney: Their Stances on Healthcare, Abortion, and the Economy (Part 1/3)
- The Debate that Changed Nothing: Stewart, O’Reilly’s Frustrating Face-Off on The Rumble