College-related news has just been getting crazier and crazier lately! In the past several days we have seen some strange stuff happen, and it’s our job to keep you in the loop. If you want to stay on the up-and-up check out this week’s college current events roundup! This week: #Teoing, dorm room drama, politics, and more! Oh, and did we mention President Obama was inaugurated yesterday/today? (We’ll have the video for you tomorrow!)
- The Blame Game: Rick Santorum is known for being pretty opinionated, that’s already a given. But his latest issue? He thinks that gay marriage, abortion, and porn are all “symptoms” of a problem that he blames on, guess who? You. Specifically, our nation’s colleges. We’re sorry, what? His exact words were that our schools are allegedly promoting “a sea of antagonism toward Christianity.” Interesting…
- Celebrity #Mistakes: USA Today College has an interesting article about how to learn from the social media mistakes of celebrities like Charlie Sheen. Some important takeaways: think professionalism before venting, get your facts straight, and watch your reputation.
- Back To School Shopping: A lot of students hit up Walmart or Target and the like when it comes to back to school shopping. Visits from parents often include a trip to one or the other to restock “supplies” (AKA Ramen) but guess what students at Georgia Tech and University of Arkansas – Walmart is now coming to you. Seriously. The mini Walmarts are coming! Consider yourselves warned.
- Dorm Room Drama: What would you do if you moved in to your dorm only to find a toddler running around? That’s exactly what happened to Shasten Snellgroves, a junior at NYU. Apparently, her new roomie was a mother with a 4-year-old! A little awkward (but we’re thinking maybe more awkward for the mom) but luckily the situation is now resolved.
- Caught In A Hoax: By now you’ve likely already heard about the Manti Te’o girlfriend hoax which is incredibly disappointing, but we love the Internet for turning something awful into something fabulous. The scandal has inspired a new Internet trend called “Teoing” where people pose with invisible girlfriends, much like Clint Eastwood and his empty chair. Gotta love it!
- Some Snacks, A Condom?: Tufts University has kind of, sort of turned into Regina George’s mom. Sorry, we had to go there. Students at Tufts came back from winter break last week to find that their vending machines now featured…condoms? That’s right. The school has taken the initiative to promote safer sex. Fabulous! (We just sounded like the Orbit girl, didn’t we. Whoops.)