College-related news has been so depressing lately! We have seen shootings on college campuses (several just this month) and there’s also the constant reminder that we’re broke and in debt and its not getting any better… Anyway, we know it’s our job to keep you in the loop! So if you want to stay on the up-and-up, check out this week’s college current events roundup! This week: tragedy in Brazil, vandalism at Boston College, the best resume ever, and more.
- Tragic Nightclub Fire: Over the weekend there was a truly tragic, fatal fire in a nightclub in Santa Maria, Brazil. The fire, which started allegedly as a result of a pyrotechnic display by the band that was playing (and was fueled by the fact that the club was over capacity and had no windows), killed over 230 people, mainly due to suffocation from smoke inhalation. Our hearts go out to all of those affected by this tragedy.
- Vandalism at BC Law School: Last week, vandalism occurred at the Boston College Law School’s LGBT center. The vandals wrote “a wide range of offensive terms and phrases” that had an anti-gay theme to them in marker on a wall inside the center. From what we know, the vandals have not been caught. Some comments on the original article suggest using the wall and turning it into something positive, which we think is awesome.
- The College Dropout: With the economy where it’s at, it’s almost not surprising to hear that America is now dealing with a college dropout crisis.
- Just Walk Away: In a weird turn of events, Worcestor State University is charging students a “pedestrian access fee” which basically means students have to pay $72 a year to walk to class. Uhm, what? The school reasoned that the state won’t give them the funding for necessary upkeep and maintenance (like on sidewalks, for example) and the funding has to come from somewhere…
- Mad Resume Skills: Never have we ever seen such an amazing resume before. The resume is actually an interactive website that parodies Amazon and it is totally awesome! We wish we had thought of that! You can see the interactive resume page here.
- A+ Schools for B Students: U.S. News and World Report has released their list of the best schools for B students. Number one on the list? Pepperdine University, followed by Fordham, Syracuse, Purdue, and more.