College news this past week was really weird. We mean, really, really weird. So weird that it makes us wonder – did April Fools’ Day come early this year? Or are things really getting strange in our neck of the woods? Regardless, it’s our job to inform you of the goings on at college (no matter how weird they may be) and keep you in the loop. Think you can handle it? Then check out this week’s college current events roundup!
- Cheater Cheater: About 60 students were forced to leave Harvard University due to a cheating scandal. Apparently, the teaching assistant in their class found that many of the answers on their take home test were the same, appearing as though students had worked together on the test. The students were not forced to leave for good, but rather to withdraw from 2-4 terms. Athletes involved were removed from their respective teams. Yikes.
- Guilty As Charged: What happens when a star student gets arrested (and found guilty of) running a meth lab in his apartment? Just ask Marc Gensen, a law student at Georgetown who was sentenced to 4 years in prison last week. Apparently Gensen lived with a meth addiction and sold the drugs in a “sophisticated social networking scheme” (whatever that means.)
- Spring Ahead!: So in case you haven’t already heard, Punxsutawney Phil, the honorary groundhog of Gobbler’s Knob, Pennsylvania (no, we did not make up that name. Promise!) did not see his shadow on Saturday. And you know what that means, right? Spring is on its way! Soon there will be no more trekking to class in snow boots and parkas. Well, if groundhogs really can predict the seasons…
- Sex vs. Your Job: Have a crush on your coworker but don’t think it’s appropriate? Psh. No need to be appropriate now that there’s this fabulous (and by fabulous we mean disturbing!) new app for LinkedIn called “Bang With Professionals” – seriously, we wish we were joking. This goes against everything you should ever do in the workplace. But, if you feel like being incredibly inappropriate and acting on said crush, you can anonymously plan to hook up with them. Ew.
- Frankly Franco: Can James Franco be any more obsessed with himself? Don’t get us wrong, he was cool in Spiderman but lately it seems he is trying way too hard to be some crazy, awesomely ironic hipster. So hard, that we’re left wondering “WTF are you doing, James Franco?!” The latest on Franco? He is making a class at Columbia College Hollywood that is all about – you guessed it – himself, called “Editing James Franco…with James Franco.” Can someone please save us from whatever wormhole we just opened up? Seriously?
- Engineering School: The Academic Ranking of World Universities has released their list of the top engineering schools in the world. Number one on the list? MIT (because that wasn’t a surprise!) Also on the list: Stanford, University of Maryland at College Park, UT Austin, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, and more.