Become a Writer Advertise With Us

DoSomething.org is partnering with Be the Match for the Give A Spit About Cancer campaign. The campaign, which launched yesterday and runs through December 20th, seeks to inspire college students to run bone marrow donor registration drives on their campus.  Leukemia kills more children every year than any other disease! A mere 30% of patients can find a bone marrow match within their family and the other 70% rely  on complete strangers. 60% of patients never receive the donations they so desperately need. These numbers can change, we just need to Do Something about it. Donations are most successful when the donor falls within the 18-24 age range. Donating bone marrow is extremely simple; all it requires is a cheek swab.

Getting Involved

The Give A Spit About Cancer campaign offers an easy and potentially life-saving action that doesn’t require donating money or fundraising. Here is how it works. College students host local donor registration “parties” (25+ people) or “hangouts” (2-25 people) on campus. DoSomething.org and Be the Match help the students set-up their events by shipping free swab kits containing all of the necessary materials to register new donors. Be the Match also provides free-of-charge bone marrow typing for all participants. Don’t be discouraged if you are not able to host or find an event in your area to participate in; you can still sign up to swab individually if need be.

Why It’s Important

I recently graduated from Eastern Connecticut State University, and this past year we had a student who was in need of bone marrow. A drive was set up at our school, and the ECSU student body came out in droves to support the cause. This really brought the school together as we rallied to try and help save the life of one of our peers. From my own experience, I can honestly say that it is an extremely quick and easy process. Take advantage of DoSomething.org’s Give A Spit About Cancer campaign and set something up on your campus.  The more people who participate, the better the chance patients in need of bone marrow will find their match and have their life saved.

Let us know what you think, and feel free to share your own story with us.

Learn more about Give A Spit About Cancer campaign here!


Featured image via