Become a Writer Advertise With Us

I don’t know how I did it, but I survived a 3-year-long career as a Resident Assistant. I got out alive with a degree and some seriously crazy memories. Last week things got super awkward with a flirty resident and this week you really won’t believe the insanity. This is my crazy RA life and yes, these are all true stories!

In the aftermath of Election Day, I think it’s only fair that I share my most patriotic RA moment with you.

Monday nights are supposed to be boring for RAs, especially during finals week. Duty is a breeze; everyone is studying and guzzling down energy drinks to help them survive their all-nighters, and parties are nowhere to be found. However, on this particular Monday night, everything changed. After 3 grueling hours on desk duty checking tired, frustrated residents’ IDs as they walked in the front door, I was ready to curl up in bed before facing my Spanish exam the next day. As it turns out, my crazy RA life had other plans for me.

As my shift came to a close, one of my residents stopped at the desk and asked, “Did you hear the news?”

“What news?” I asked, “I’ve been stuck here all night. What did I miss?”

“They just said that Osama bin Laden was killed…”

Like I said, everything changed.

I don’t know why I expected the rest of the night to be quiet and normal aside from Facebook and Twitter blowing up from a barrage of patriotic posts and tweets, but I assumed (we all know what happens when you assume!) that nothing could possibly go wrong on a Monday night, even given the circumstances.

It was almost 1 am and I had just gotten cozy in bed when I heard yelling outside.


I opened my window to a crowd of 20 or so people standing outside singing “God Bless America” in unison.

That very night, a new RA that had just been hired was on duty and I called him to warn him. He told me he would handle it, but when he went outside, nobody would listen to him. The crowd grew larger and louder by the minute and suddenly there were well over 100 people on the steps with a keg, passing out solo cups, singing, chanting, and screaming.

I ran outside to meet him and knew there was no way to handle the situation on our own. There were too many people and too many policy violations happening at once. I called the RD on duty and Public Safety and just stood by in amazement as the swarm of drunk people continued to grow.

They somehow managed to hide the keg before Public Safety arrived. Everyone began to retreat inside the building, and we almost started to relax as the insanity seemingly ended…

And a few moments later, we heard singing in the distance. They went out the back door and continued their riot by the woods until Public Safety walked around back and got everyone to disperse while we stood outside in awe of what had just happened.

Needless to say, I didn’t make it to bed at a reasonable hour that night.

Stay tuned for next Wednesday when My Crazy RA Life returns with another insane story! 

Featured photo credit: Mike Burns via photopin cc