Do you remember your first love? Maybe you thought it’d last forever (hey, maybe it did!) or maybe it broke your heart and you’re still mildly emotionally scarred from it. Maybe you never really got over them, either. Regardless, you’ve felt those feels, and with Valentine’s Day coming up, you might be reflecting back on things.
Whether you’re single and ready to mingle or taken and totally happy (by your first love or even someone new), you should head to the movies and check out Endless Love, which premieres in theaters on February 14th (duh.)
Endless Love stars Alex Pettyfer (Magic Mike) and Gabriella Wilde (The Three Musketeers) in the story of a privileged girl and a charismatic boy whose instant desire sparks a love affair made only more reckless by parents trying to keep them apart. If you haven’t already seen it, you can check out the trailer below:
To celebrate the release of Endless Love, we’re doing a special post and a giveaway. But before you scroll down and enter to win, let’s talk a little more about first loves. Actually, let’s talk about my first love. Yes, people, it’s about to get pretty real, pretty fast.
I have had many crushes in my life, and cried over many a boy while listening to O-Town’s “All or Nothing” and eating Cheez-its (because chocolate is overrated.) 6th grade was a rough year for me, ya know? Now, I don’t know if you could call my first love “love” — I truly believe that when you really, really love someone, no matter what happens, you’ll have no regrets. But it was probably as close to love as one can get when they’re 13.
It was well beyond that excited, butterfly-inducing feel that you get when you’re 10 and the cutest guy in your class asks you out even though you’re 10 and who dates at age 10 but OMG, so exciting, but not exciting enough to actually say yes because you’re 10 (LOL real life story guys, real life story.) This was more like an agreement — I think both of us just decided “oh hey, we like each other” and proceeded to talk all the time but never actually date. I was more emotionally invested in that non-relationship than I even was in my actual relationship with my first actual boyfriend who I dated for like a year and a half. (Sorry, bro.)
As is generally the case with first loves, it ended. And it ended pretty badly, and pretty abruptly. It gave new meaning to “crash and burn” and left me pretty emotionally scarred. But then again, so did most things that occurred between 2001 and 2004, because life.
So, anyway, long story short, I made a playlist to represent my first love, for your listening pleasure (and/or judgement.) There are 13 songs because I was 13 when I fell in “love” and each one is an actual song that I attributed to the hilariously emotional throwback that was my life at the time.
Without further ado, here’s a playlist dedicated to my first love. And if you don’t remember these songs (the most recent one was released in 2004) then she’s probably too young for you bro.
1. Skye Sweetnam, “Tangled Up in Me” — because Skye Sweetnam just knew how I felt.
2. Maria Mena, “You’re The Only One” — because he hated that I liked this song.
3. Lillix, “It’s About Time” — because no early 2000s playlist is complete without Lillix.
4. Air, “Playground Love” — because of all the good feels.
5. Regina Spektor, “Samson” — because it’s beautiful and it makes me cry.
6. Rilo Kiley, “Always” — because I totally thought I’d always feel like that.
7. Gavin DeGraw, “Follow Through” — because he probably should’ve taken Gavin’s advice, obviously.
8. Ryan Cabrera, “On The Way Down (Acoustic Version)” — because not including it = illegal.
9. Dashboard Confessional, “Ghost of a Good Thing” — because of all the bad feels.
10. blink-182, “I’m Lost Without You” — because I totally was afraid of being alone.
11. Jason Mraz, “You and I Both” — because Jason Mraz is the biggest supplier of avocados to Chipotle.
12. Maroon 5, “Sweetest Goodbye” — obligatory early 2000s heartbreak song.
13. Sugarcult, “Champagne” — obligatory early 2000s song of bitterness.
I’d say the overall theme of this playlist was angst. Such angst.
Now that I’ve thoroughly embarrassed myself, let’s move on to the fun stuff: the giveaway!
One (1) winner receives:
$25 Visa gift card
Endless Love Eos Smooth Sphere Lip Balm
Endless Love Earrings, T-shirt & Hair Ties
How to Enter:
Using the widget below, you can:
Like CampusRiot on Facebook
Follow @SurvivinCollege on Twitter
Tweet about the giveaway (you can do this daily!)
Follow CampusRiot on Pinterest
Follow CampusRiot on Tumblr
Join our bi-weekly newsletter, “The College Mixer”
Terms & Conditions
Must be 18 or older to enter; US only!
Prizing courtesy of Universal Pictures